On this site:

Home

Montana's Enduring Frontier

Cowboy Girl

Articles

Biz-Writing

Talks

Blog

Red Lodge

About John

 
Get this feed:

Subscribe to John Clayton's Blog by Email

 

The walkable small town 

I was pleased to discover that my house ranks an 89 on this walkability index. That's one point shy of a "walker's paradise" -- but surely I could gain that additional point if the algorithm would recognize that the nearest park to my house is not the state park 10 miles away. (There's a few tiny city parks within a quarter-mile, and much Forest Service land within 2-3 miles.)

A Walker's Paradise, the website says, is where "Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car." I'm sure the website organizers imagined that most such paradises would be urban locations (and right downtown at that) -- not a Montana town of 2,200 people.

But it's exactly what I realized -- and what I was looking for -- when I moved here lo those many years ago. Though I own a car, I usually prefer to walk or bike. (In fact some weeks the only time I get in the car is to drive to a parklike place... Hmmm...) And the classic American small town is as pedestrian-friendly as the classic American big city.

It may not remain that way for long, and it may not be that important to everybody, but it's a happy reminder of why I'm here.

Thanks to Lance Mannion for the link.

I'm always interested in feedback, via info at johnclaytonbooks dot com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?