On this site:

Home

Montana's Enduring Frontier

Cowboy Girl

Articles

Biz-Writing

Talks

Blog

Red Lodge

About John

 
Get this feed:

Subscribe to John Clayton's Blog by Email

 

Advice? from me? 

I was asked for career advice last week. It came as a bit of a shock, since I have trouble thinking of myself as a veteran on the basketball court, much less one in my career. And I was tempted to say that my career path consisted of floundering around looking for something that would let me live in Montana while still being relatively fun and/or profitable.

But this fellow was a fulltime journalist looking to become a freelancer focusing on business writing. And I realized I did have some opinions. Here's what I said:

Journalism experience provides two great skills for business writing: 1) research and note-taking, 2) writing quickly. In effect I generally end up "interviewing" experts and writing down what they say. Turns out that while many of them are brilliant, when it comes to putting together a complete sentence, either they can't or it takes them forever. They'll compliment me on a great piece of writing when all I did was put what they said into complete written sentences. I've learned not to be overly modest about that -- it's a valuable skill.

But some of the philosophies you learn as a journalist -- skepticism, attribution, the notion that you work for the reader rather than the source -- are useless or even counterproductive to businesses. They may actually fear muckrakers -- what they need are very smart stenographers. (And many journalists can't get over the notion that there's something wrong with that. I say there isn't.)

A few paths I might suggest:
1) Take a course in business writing. Make sure it's taught by someone who's not merely a literature professor. You want to gain experience with the types of assignments business writers have, and their mindset.
2) Join the Society for Technical Communication, if they have a local chapter. Though expensive, it's good networking.
3) Do some work for free. Find a worthy nonprofit and volunteer to write for them -- not newspaper articles, but -- brochures, meeting minutes, "How to use our services," annual reports, etc. You can show these to future clients to demonstrate that you can write what they want written.


Join the discussion at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnclaytonoutreach/

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?