On this site:

Home

Montana's Enduring Frontier

Cowboy Girl

Articles

Biz-Writing

Talks

Blog

Red Lodge

About John

 
Get this feed:

Subscribe to John Clayton's Blog by Email

 

"Storytelling is a learned skill" 

While we’re at CJR, I also loved this story on the blurring differences between journalists and historians. At a conference last week (more on this later), the moderator asked me how I would like to be introduced.

"Are you an independent scholar?"

I responded, "How about: freelance journalist."

I feel that I'm approaching a historical problem as a journalist: asking questions. Curiosity leads me from one topic to another, and one expert to another. Some academics have criticized my lack of immersion in either history or literary theory, and I understand their fear that I'll be too superficial.

But if I can study enough (and I sure am trying!) to avoid that, I hope to be following the lead of Nicholas Lemann, telling history as story first, argument later.

Join the discussion at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnclaytonoutreach/

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?