On this site:

Home

Montana's Enduring Frontier

Cowboy Girl

Articles

Biz-Writing

Talks

Blog

Red Lodge

About John

 
Get this feed:

Subscribe to John Clayton's Blog by Email

 

Automate this 

The Casper Star-Tribune picked up my latest essay on Saturday, Automate This! It's funny: I never know who's going to print an essay like this -- it's distributed by a syndicate called Writers on the Range -- and I never know how they're going to edit it. I often hesitate to reread a published story, because often my reaction is: "Boy the rhythm’s bad on that one sentence, didn't I do better in the original?" Then sometimes I decide to prove how dumb the editors are by going back to the original. . . and at least half the time it turns out the fault was mine.

The disconnect between published version and what I thought I wrote is worse in this case because the essay is over a year old. Since it’s an "evergreen" (not tied to a specific event), I let the syndicate use it as a backup, whenever they had room.

Yeah, a bit has changed since then. The automated grocery check-out gets a little more use. But not from me.


Join the discussion at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnclaytonoutreach/

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?